Portion control is critical for weight loss so here I provide three easy portion control tips to help you lose weight.
FIRST: Have the right size plate. Studies have shown that the larger the plate, the more food you will pile on. Plates that are 8-9 inches in diameter, will help you visualize the plate and make you feel like your plate is full.
SECOND: Use your measuring cups. Using these utensils allows you to know exactly how much you are serving yourself with each meal.
THIRD: Learn how to serve. Knowing how to serve or design your plate is critical. Below are a few tips.
- Half of the plate should be a colorful mix of non-starchy vegetables, such broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, brussels sprouts, asparagus and green leafy vegetables.
- One quarter of the plate should be a superfood carbohydrate such quinoa, sweet potatoes, purple potatoes, bean, lentils, brown rice, and black rice.
- Don’t forget protein! The last quarter of the plate should be a lean protein such as chicken, salmon, sirloin steak, tofu or tempeh.
- Now that you know the components of the plate, how much of each should we eat? For women, fill your plate with your favorite non-starchy vegetables. No need to worry about a specific amount. For your superfood carbohydrate, this should be ½ cup. For protein, it should be 3 ounces of meat.
- For men, same applies with the non-starchy vegetables. Fill up half of the plate with your favorite kind of vegetables. For the superfood carbohydrate, keep it to 1 cup. For protein, it should be about 6 ounces.
- Now, if you are exercising more than 3 times per week, women, raise your superfood carbohydrate to 1 cup. Men, you would raise your superfood carbohydrate to 1 ½ cups.
Remember, at the end of the day, it’s still the total calories consumed that count. These are just some easy tips to use to help you get going. For a entire day of meal plans with your own customized numbers, visit Whole Body Reboot.
Do you want to read more posts? GO!